Abu Dhabi, UAE – The Middle East Film & Comic Con MEFCC 2023 is back and better than ever for its 2023 edition, taking place from 3 to 5 March 2023 at the usual MEFCC location, the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC).
MEFCC is the region’s biggest pop culture event, bringing together fans of comics, manga, films, anime, television shows, cosplaying, and video gaming from all over the United Arab Emirates, the Middle East, and the world. This is its 11th run, and it promises to be the most spectacular yet, with a packed schedule of activities, international stars, and celebrity guests.
- Dubai World Cup 2023 is Confirmed For March 25
- The 2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: All the Information You Need
11th MEFCC Highlights
You cannot miss this year’s MEFCC three-day extravaganza. Expect the following highlights.
One of this year’s comic con highlights is the range of celebrity guests who will be in attendance. Lord of the Rings fans should love meeting Gollum himself, courtesy of Andy Serkis, who played that unforgettable character, plus other equally noteworthy roles in Star Wars (Supreme Leader Snoke and Kino Loy), Black Panther (Ulysses Klaue), and The Batman (Alfred Pennyworth). Catch up with Andy on 4 and 5 March.
Then, there’s Doctor Who’s Eleventh Doctor, House of the Dragon’s Daemon Targaryen, Morbius’ Milo, The Crown’s Prince Philip, and Terminator Genisys’ Alex: Matt Smith. Matt is set to appear on the first and second days (3 and 4 March).
Other international celebrities attending are Anthony Daniels (appearing on 3 to 5 March), May Calamawy (participating on 3 and 4 March), and Jamie Campbell Bower (attending on 4 and 5 March). Anthony Daniels is the man behind the inimitable C-3PO of the Star Wars franchise. Meanwhile, May Calamawy is part of the Marvel cinematic universe in her role as Layla El-Faouly in Moon Knight. She’s also known for her excellent performance as Dena Hassan in the comedy show Ramy. Finally, Jamie Campbell Bower Clarke is Gellert Grindelwald in the Harry Potter franchise and Caius Volturi in Twilight, but he particularly stands out as the villain Vecna in Stranger Things.
In the past, MEFCC has also hosted the likes of Benedict Wong (Wong in Doctor Strange and the Marvel cinematic universe), Jason Momoa (Aquaman in the DC extended universe), Stan Lee (co-creator of Spider-Man), Anthony Mackie (Sam Wilson in Iron Man), and Giancarlo Esposito (Gustavo “Gus” Fring in Breaking Bad).
In addition to the international celebrities, the event will also feature a host of international artists. This includes comic book artists, filmmakers, and animators, who will be showcasing their work and participating in panel discussions.
Comic book fans, in particular, will love the following lineup:
- Greg Capullo: He is the artist currently in charge of DC Comics’ Batman series; he has also worked on Spawn and Death Metal.
- Ryan Ottley: He is the main artist and a contributing creator of the Invincible series. His work credits also include Hulk and the Amazing Spider-Man.
- Jock: Mark Simpson, or Jock, is the writer and artist behind One Dark Knight of the Batman comic series.
- Ken Lashley: He is an all-around artist whose work credits include X-Men, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Superman, and Suicide Squad.
- David Angelo Roman: Are you a fan of Rick and Morty? He is a cover artist for the franchise.
Fans of animated films and shows, meanwhile, will love meeting:
- Mike Peraza: The art director for Disney’s The Little Mermaid, he is one of the film industry’s most entrenched animators. His credits include working with some of the best directors, like Tim Burton and Steven Spielberg, and the biggest production companies, like Walt Disney Studios and Universal Studios.
- Patty Peraza: She’s the first-ever female effects animator in Walt Disney, and she has worked on projects like Tom & Jerry, The Black Cauldron, and Beauty and the Beast.
Meet the Stars
Given the caliber of the celebrities and artists that will grace Middle East Film & Comic Con 2023, it’s no wonder Meet the Stars is one of the comic con’s most anticipated events. At Meet the Stars, you can purchase an autograph or photograph voucher to meet your favorite celebrities, artists, and voice actors.
You can also look forward to the Artist Alley. This is where regional and international artists will display and sell their work, including original pieces, prints, and other merchandise. Attendees can browse the alley, meet the artists, and purchase one-of-a-kind pieces to take home.
This is the dedicated cosplay zone. Feel free to unleash your comic book hero or manga character alter-ego here. You may even register for the cosplay competition, happening on 4 March. Cosplaying enthusiasts will also love the professional cosplayers’ meet-and-greet, the cosplay repair shop, and the myriad photo zones and backdrops.
This is where fans can play the latest games, compete in tournaments, and meet other gamers. The gaming arena features the latest consoles and games, even unreleased titles from major publishers and indie developers.
- Switch TV – Your Ultimate Platform for Entertainment in UAE
- What are the 5 Most-Watched Netflix Shows in Dubai
See You at MEFCC 2023
The MEFCC 2023 schedule is jam-packed with exciting activities to keep attendees entertained all weekend. Aside from the highlights listed above, there will be panel discussions with celebrity guests, workshops, contests, stage shows, and other interactive experiences.
“We are thrilled to be bringing the Middle East Film & Comic Con back to Abu Dhabi for its 11th year,” said the event organizers. “This year’s convention promises to be the biggest and best yet, drawing more than the 45,000 guests it drew last year. We can’t wait to welcome fans from across the region and beyond to experience everything the MEFCC offers.”
Comic Con Abu Dhabi 2023 tickets are now available on the MEFCC website. A one-day pass costs AED 135, but the best value comes from a three-day pass that costs only AED 299. For more information about the event and to purchase tickets, visit the MEFCC website.
Become part of the biggest pop culture event in the Middle East. Get your tickets today.