To move to Canada and become a working part of the Canadian population, you will need a sponsor. The one and most common way are to sponsor Family to Canada. The sponsor is agreeing that they will make certain the basic needs of their family member will be met. In essence, it means that you will make sure the immigrant will have housing, food, clothing, and other daily life essentials.
How Long Does a Sponsorship Last?
When you sponsor your family member and agree to take care of their financial needs this is not a lifetime commitment. You are guaranteeing the other person will have their needs met while they are integrating into the Canadian population and this will give the person time to find gainful employment so they can see to their own financial needs.
A sponsor legally and financially cares for family members for differing amounts of time.
- If you are sponsoring your parent or your grandparent you will be financially responsible for 20 years.
- If you are sponsoring your spouse or life partner the sponsorship will be for a term of three years.
- If you are sponsoring a child between the ages of 3 years and 10 years you will be responsible until the child becomes old enough to legally be an adult and work as part of the Canadian workforce.
Who can be a Sponsor?
To be a sponsor for family members you need to meet the following requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or be registered as a Canadian Indian.
- Meet the income guidelines.
- Have a written agreement to provide financial support for the sponsored person.
- You are related to the individual by blood.
- The person is your spouse or life partner.
Also Checkout: Things You Should Know About Modern PR in Dubai
Things that will keep you from being an accepted sponsor
Some limitations apply to who can sponsor family to Canada. These limitations include:
- If you are under 18 years of age.
- If you have child support payments or alimony payments that are in arrears.
- If you failed to repay an immigration loan.
- If you have sponsored another relative and the terms of the sponsorship were not met.
- If you have committed a sexual offence against a relative
- If you are incarcerated.
How to Get Started
It can seem daunting when you try to navigate all of the required forms and documentation to help you sponsor family to Canada or spouse.
The easiest method of navigating this is to hire a professional immigration consultant in Dubai that can help you gather all of the pertinent information and documentation you will need. You do not have to hire a legal consultant, but hiring one does make the process easier to deal with.
You need an application package that has the forms and instructions that you need. The package also contains a checklist that helps you organize your efforts and keep track of what steps you have completed and what steps you need to complete.
Pay your application fees and submit your application.
The documentation you will need
You have some things that you have to prove before your ability to sponsor your family member will be approved. These include:
- Proof of your financial income and resources.
- Proof of marital status.
- Proof of relationship to the other individual.
- A police certificate for the people you are sponsoring. You will be charged a fee for processing this certificate. If a police certificate cannot be obtained you have to show proof that you did attempt to get a certificate from the residence county and country that the person was living in.
- Medical exams for the people being sponsored. This is an IME. Your doctor cannot do the medical examination for you. You must see an approved doctor who knows the requirements for immigrants into Canada.
- Recent photos of the person immigrating. You will need their face to be square with the camera and they should have a natural expression on their face. They should not be smiling and should have their mouth closed with lips together. The photos cannot be more than 6 months of are and prescription eyeglasses that are tinted should be removed so the eyes of the person are visible.
The medical assessments are very critical to your application approval You can go online and find a full list of the approved physicians who can do this assessment for you. When you go to have your medical assessment, you will need to bring proper documentation with you. This includes:
- A government-issued document that has your picture and your signature on it.
- Your eyeglasses or contacts.
- Lab results or the results of medical tests that you have concerning existing medical conditions.
- A complete list of all medications you are currently taking
An IMM 1017E.
The biometrics you may need are your fingerprints a photo of you and possibly of the relative you are sponsoring. These biometric markers are used to validate that you are a part of the application in question so that crucial information is never given to an unauthorized individual.
How long does the process take?
Unfortunately, Covid-19 is affecting the amount of time it takes to get an immigration application processed. You will need to establish an online account when you file your sponsorship application. You can then check the status of the application online. The application status will be updated every week and you will always know what is happening and an estimate on the amount of time you have left before approval is granted.
It does sound daunting when you read over all of the requirements and documents that you are going to need to be a sponsor and to be a new immigrant. The Canadian government knows that this process seems detailed and confusing so their websites offer step-by-step instructions that will help you navigate the maze of requirements in a timely and less confusing way.
Sponsor family to Canada, so your family can move to Canada and be closer to you is a good thing to do. Canada wants its citizens to have familial ties within the country so their citizens can be happier in their day-to-day lives.