How to Write a Follow-Up Email after the Job Interview
Preparing for an interview can help you speak your mind and get your favorite job. But not many people know that the interview is not all there is to the hiring process – the interview is important, but what follows after the interview is also essential. Keeping an ongoing open relationship with your recruiter even after meeting up with them is a good way to get your foot in the door.
Recruiters like people who dare to ask questions and are interested in the well-being of the company. Writing a follow-up message soon after you’re out of their office is proof of that. Here’s what you must include in your follow-up e-mail and how to make it matter.
Also checkout: 10 Common Mistakes Everyone Does to get Job in Dubai
Sending a Follow-Up E-mail for The First Time?
Choose the Right Moment
Find the proper moment to send a follow-up e-mail. There is no point in sending an e-mail right after leaving the interviewer’s office. Let time pass and only then prepare an effective draft. Your interviewer will be speaking to other candidates in the meantime, so being too pushy is not at all recommended. As I said, let a few days pass, and then send your message.
If you already wrote a follow-up e-mail and they haven’t gotten back to you, here are some of the things you could do.
- Empathize with the recruiter and try to think of reasons why they might’ve not gotten back to you. No, it’s not because they didn’t like you – but it could be because you were unclear. Be clearer when asking for something, especially when writing such an email. Why are you following up? What’s the reason?
- Provide a compelling reason. After you’ve answered the questions above, write a second follow-up and explain the reason for your first email. If you can, include some proof.
- Keep your email short and make sure you’ve got a catchy opening line. Don’t forget to personalize your e-mail.
Also Read: Top 10 Part Time Jobs in Dubai to Make Extra Money
Learn How to Write a Professional Email
The next tips will help you write a professional email and get a response in no time. Here are the guidelines that you should respect. Let us know if there are any other tips that you’d like to add.
- Do not use emojis. A “J” might be okay but don’t go further than this. Even this might be pushing it in a super-formal environment.
- Organize your ideas before writing them down. Your email must flow not get in the way of you getting hired. Think about what you what to express and draw the first draft; then edit.
- Avoid using the passive voice. Active voice shows strength.
This is what you should include in your e-mail.
These are just some of the things that you should include in your follow-up e-mail, according to CEO and essay help director, John Johnson.
- Introduce yourself and remind the recruiter who you are. Address them directly so do personalize the introduction by using the recruiter’s first name or the “Ms./Mr.” title.
- Thank them for taking the time to meet with you and explain why you’re reaching out. Tell them that this is a follow-up email and restate the reasons why you’re interested in the job.
- Make sure you highlight why you think you’d be a good fit and therefore, why you’re so anxious to hear back from them.
- Ask them for an update or another meeting, depending on what your purpose is. Be as straightforward as possible.
- Close with saying something like “Looking forward to hearing back from you” and proofread your email before sending it.
Also Read: When is the Good Time to Apply for a Job in Dubai?
What Other Alternatives Do You Have?
If you’re not into sending follow-up emails, you can also reach out to your recruiter on platforms such as:
- Phone call
- Google Hangouts, or whatever comes in handy
- Top 20 Highest Paid Jobs in Dubai
- Top 10 Most In-Demand Jobs in Dubai
- Top 10 Best Recruitment Agencies in Dubai
- 8 Tips to Get Job Easily in Dubai
Jake S. Platt is 31. He has a master’s degree in marketing and recently started his way as a content writer. Wrote his first story at age 15, now he brings his decades of experience to inspire people to explore the world of marketing. If you need to find a paper writing service, don’t hesitate to contact Jake.